In celebration of heart health month, here is the perfect low-cholesterol, heart friendly bacon alternative! Super Natural has the ingredients in store that you need to make this tasty Mushroom bacon!
8 large size button or cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp. Tamari
1 Tbsp. Water
2 Splashes Liquid Smoke
1 Tsp. Agave Nectar
1 Tbsp. Coconut oil (for frying)
– Prep the mushrooms by slicing them thinly. (The thinner they are, the more crispy the bacon will be)
– In a small bowl, combine the Tamari, water, liquid smoke and agave. Whisk well.
– Heat the coconut oil on HIGH (10) heat until the pan begins to smoke. Reduce the heat slightly (8) and saute the mushrooms. Saute mushrooms until most of the water has come out. They should have shrunk by at least half or more.
– Reduce the heat to medium heat (5) and add the liquid combination to the pan. Stir frequently with a rubber spatula as the liquid absorbs. Cook out until all the liquid has absorbed and mushrooms crisp up, reducing the heat more as needed to ensure sugars do not burn .
– Remove from heat and serve with your favorite breakfast!